Friday, October 24th, 2014

Red Cross Reminds You To Be Careful With Space Heaters

As temperatures start to dip across Arizona, the American Red Cross urges families to be cautious when using space heaters and other heating sources, and to make a plan in case of a home fire. Heating sources are the leading cause of winter fires, and increase during the winter months of December, January and February. Over the past 24 hours, Grand Canyon Chapter volunteers have responded to eight home fires.  Six were in Maricopa County, one was in Yuma County and one was in Mohave County. Heat sources such as space heaters, fireplaces or wood and coal stoves can pose a fire hazard. To reduce the risk of heating related fires, the Red Cross recommends keeping anything that can burn such as paper, bedding or furniture, at least three feet away from heating equipment and fireplaces and to never leave these unattended.  Other concerns, especially this time of year, are candles and holiday lights.

Scroll To Top